Once you’ve selected candidates to be interviewed there are some key things to ensure your interview process goes as smoothly as possible and that you find the right individual for the role. Here are five steps to include in your interviewing process.
- Treat the interview experience as if you were being interviewed. Tell how the company was founded and share the “Why”. Find ways to create a connection with the candidate so they understand why they would want to come work with you.
- Involve your best culture carriers. Make sure you select team members that present themselves as you’d like your organization to be represented.
- Make sure to have a minimum of 3 interviews. At Active, we always make sure to have three people interview a candidate. This helps in the decision-making process as you have more people that have met the candidate and connected with them. We also don’t allow the direct hiring manager to make the final decision.
- Consider using a Work-style assessment like the PAEI model. This is a good exercise to help understand the individual's work style and how their work style would contribute to your team.
- Use a set interview process and system that is consistent. Be sure that you have the same questions for each candidate. It should include things like an overview of each candidate: On-Time; Dress; Grooming; Smiling; Positive; Asked Questions; Etc. At Active, we have an interview packet that we use with each candidate. This allows for equal comparisons after the interview when reviewing candidates and no biases.
Tune in to our blog series this month focused on navigating during the hiring shortage. With decades of experience recruiting fitness employees, Team Active has an eagle eye for talent. We hire key positions - executive-level facility managers, personal trainers, and fitness staff - or an entire team depending on your facility’s needs.
You might also like:
Bill McBride is Active’s President, CEO and Founder. Bill is a health club industry veteran with nearly 30 years of experience leading and managing all aspects of our operations. Bill has served as chairman of IHRSA’s board of directors and several advisory positions for prominent industry associations and was named Top 25 Consumer HealthTech Executives of 2020. He’s also involved in industry fitness business webinars on a regular basis and in his free time enjoys spending time outdoors hiking in Arizona.