Dinner is in the bag with this upgraded shake-and-bake recipe, featuring heart-healthy pistachios and oven baked chicken Find more healthy meal ideas from St. Joseph Health here.
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total)
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- Small pot boiling water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder—mild or hot, depending on preference
- 3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water in a shallow bowl
- Cooking spray
- To remove the skins from pistachios, drop shelled nuts into boiling water. Remove from heat and let them soak for about a minute. Drain nuts and wrap them in a dishtowel. Rub gently until nuts pop out of skins. Spread nuts in one layer on a baking sheet and roast in 300°F oven (can use a toaster oven) for 10 to 15 minutes. Nuts should be dried and crisp, but not brown.
- When nuts are cool, put them into a sandwich-sized plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add curry powder, breadcrumbs, and parsley. Shake the bag to mix all ingredients and spread out on a plate or waxed paper.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut chicken into eight strips. Dip strips into egg white and coat all sides with nut-crumb mixture.
- Arrange on a cookie sheet that has been lightly oiled with cooking spray. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165°F internal temperature) and nut crust is lightly browned. Serve with bottled chutney.
Makes 6 servings • Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving contains about 265 calories • 9g carbohydrates • 32g protein • 10g fat • 136 mg sodium • 2g fiber
*Recipe used with written permission from St. Joseph Health, our partner in health.