Essential oils have been trending over the last few years, but in reality, they have been used for years in ancient civilizations across the world for things like aromatherapy, personal care, healthcare practices and more.
These oils are compounds extracted from plants that have a variety of health benefits. Today, a majority of products in our daily lives are filled with synthetic chemicals and toxins which can weigh us down and may even have a negative impact on the way we think, feel and thrive. Pure essential oil can combat these negative influences and may help us physically, mentally and emotionally.
It can seem a bit daunting to determine where to start but it doesn’t need to be. Begin with a simple question, what are my top health concerns? Make a list of 3-5 health concerns or things you want to solve by using oils. For example, cutting out chemical products from your cleaning closet, not having to take medicine for a headache, finding a better way to clear up a blemish, learning ways to relax during a stressful time or fighting against the cold and flu season. The options are endless and fully unique to your needs! Knowing your needs will help you not feel like you need to buy every oil, but rather intentionally invest in those oils that are going to help you thrive.
If you need guidance purchasing your first oils, here are our top 5 picks:
- Lemon; cleanses, purifies air / surfaces (cleaning), aids in digestion, supports respiratory health, uplifting
- Lavender; soothes skin irritations, reduces anxious feelings, promotes peaceful sleep, eases tension
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca); cleansing, soothing and rejuvenating effect on skin, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, relieves pain
- Peppermint; promotes respiratory health, promotes digestive health, repels bugs, relax and ease tense/sore muscles and headaches
- Frankincense; supports healthy cellular function, soothing, reduce skin imperfections, improves immune and nervous system function
With just 5 essential oils you have reached your musculoskeletal (muscles), digestive (stomach), immune (defense), respiratory (lungs) and integumentary (skin) systems as well as providing oils that can help improve your household and personal products.
We recommend finding a reputable source for research learning before you buy and then choose a company that sells 100% pure oils with no fillers.
Team Active content is not medical advice; it's inspiration to live actively!
Active's Director of Wellness, Karah Ehrhardt, has been with the organization since its inception and has been a part of the greater fitness industry for 15 years now. She is passionate about meeting individuals where they are by providing our sites and members with the tools, resources and products that help support their health and wellness journey. Karah is staying safe at home with her loved ones spending time chasing around her toddler and experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen!