Here’s are top 5 design trends that our Active’s Design Team recommends considering for your fitness space.
- Provide more space. As we continue to build during the COVID-19 era and into the future, one theme rings consistently in all our projects: designs are opening up. Your layout should be considered with extra space in mind. This allows users to have some distance between one another, from the fitness floor to the locker rooms. Consider unfinished ceilings, lots of windows and/or sliding doors for fresh air.
- Space-saving options. On the flip side, we are taking a unique approach with small spaces to create fitness and health offerings. We’re introducing high-tech strength circuits with open space for functional-style training in these spaces. We also recommend versatile wall storage and suspension rigs when working to save space.
- Use sustainable materials. From the flooring to water bottle fillers and eco friendly towels, we are looking at sustainable materials on all areas of fitness design that are better for the earth.
- Consider pods. When mapping out your layout you may want to consider fitness pods, made up of a small group of people comfortable working out together. They can be great for personal training, open member use and the ability to reserve times for workouts. Pods define personal space with clean equipment and an area to work with a trainer.
- Take it outside. Create open spaces outdoors that members can utilize. This provides the extra square footage without adding to your rent. We are also seeing temporary solutions become permanent for outdoor studios, cafés, pool bars and lounge areas, as well as childcare. When creating outdoor areas don’t forget the heating, cooling, lighting and audio/visual needs for your members to be comfortable and safe.
Need help with your fitness center design or refresh? The Active team can help. Contact the Active Procurement & Design Team today.
You might also like:
Justin Honas | Director of Procurement & Design
Justin designs modern fitness centers and provides smart equipment procurement for Active Wellness clients. With a steady pulse on space planning trends, Justin’s expertise produces solid solutions with intuitive innovation for the target community. His partnerships with key vendors and attention to detail drives consistent results for Active and our partners.